Industry leaders gathered to honor peers and colleagues at the Lab Division’s 19th annual Hall of Fame Banquet to kick-off Vision Expo West.
Presented by Swen Carlson, chair of The Vision Council’s Lab Division, and Jose Alves, general manager, Americas, of Transitions Optical, the Director’s Choice Award was given to former Transitions president Dave Cole at the Lab Division’s Hall of Fame Banquet on Sept. 26.
Cole, currently vice president of architectural coatings at PPG Industries, was given the award in part to recognize how Transitions and its lens technology grew the industry, said Steve Sutherlin, Lab Division liaison to The Vision Council.
“Dave was the ringleader of the whole thing, he was always the face of Transitions, he was the president of the company and he was the one who we always met with at different meetings and was ‘Mr. Transitions,’” he told OLP. “So we just felt that what he has done for our industry needed to be recognized, and even though he’s not in the industry any longer, he certainly is a deserving recipient.”
The Lab Division also inducted eight individuals into its Hall of Fame at the dinner, held at the Treasure Island Hotel and Casino. They were:
• Ronald F. Cooke, OD: former president, CEO and founder, Diversified Ophthalmics, Inc.
• Ralph G. Kent, Jr.: territory manager, Luzerne Optical Laboratories
• Dan Lundberg: senior software engineer, Digital Vision, Inc.
• Mike Nathe: SVP of partner lab group/Kodak, Essilor of America
• Richard C. Palmer: founder, Practical Engineering, Inc./Walman
• Michael D. Sutherlin: vice president (retired), Sutherlin Optical
• Michael Walach: president, Quest Vision Care Specialty Lab
• Dana Reese Weeks: president, Optical Services International